(Pocket-lint) – Disney+’s series of promotions, events, and content premieres for Disney+ subscribers has arrived.
Also known as Disney+ Day, it’s not only a mega marketing campaign enlisting just about every part of The Walt Disney Company, but it also just so happens to be Disney+’s second birthday. Here’s what you need to know about Disney+ Day – including when it is, what subscribers are getting, and more.
What is Disney+ Day?
To celebrate the launch of Disney+ two years ago, Disney has turned the streaming service’s birthday into a holiday called Disney+ Day, and it has coordinated a bunch of festivities for Disney+ subscribers, including various deals and savings, new content to watch, and even some trailers and sneak peeks.
Nearly every corner of Disney’s massive empire is taking part in the first Disney+ Day. For instance, on Disney+ Day, both Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Jungle Cruise will be available to stream at no extra cost, Disney+ subscribers will get free shipping at ShopDisney and can enter Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort 30 minutes before the parks open, and even Disney+ has received its biggest price cut ever.
These are just a few of the perks Disney has planned for Disney+ Day.
When is Disney+ Day?
The first-ever Disney+ Day is Friday 12 November 2021. But some of Disney’s promotions kicked off the week of Disney+ Day.
Can you watch Disney+ Day online?
Disney+ Day isn’t a typical “event” with a live-streamed broadcast for you to watch. It’s a day-long celebration marked by new shows, movies, and specials for you to stream on Disney+. So, go there to see all the new content. Off its streaming service, Disney is releasing a bevy of trailers, teasers, and other sneak peeks of upcoming content. Most of the announcements are landing either through Disney+ or Disney’s various social channels:
Starting at 6am PT (9am ET/2pm GMT), be sure to follow Disney+ (@DisneyPlus) on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for first looks, new trailers, exclusive clips, and appearances from Disney+ creators and stars for upcoming content across the Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic brands. Also, over on Disney+’s official TikTok account, Disney plans to upload short-form content to showcase various stories, brands, and characters.
The biggest Disney+ Day announcements
To celebrate the first-ever Disney+ Day, Disney is sharing a bit of what the future holds for Disney+. It previewed a behind-the-scenes look at Star Wars: Obi-Wan as well as our first look at Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Ms. Marvel, Bayman! and more. Here are all the biggest announcements from Disney+ Day.
— Star Wars Empire (@SWEmpire_) November 12, 2021
Obi-Wan Kenobi: New preview (but no trailer) for new Star Wars Disney+ show
There’s still no full trailer for the Obi-Wan series headed to Disney+, but Disney has shared a behind-the-scenes featurette on its streaming service.
Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Ms Marvel: First look at new MCU Disney+ shows
Spider-Man, Agatha, and Marvel Zombies: New MCU Disney+ shows announced
Disney announced three new Marvel series:
Spider-Man: Freshman Year – Animated series that “follows Peter Parker on his way to becoming Spider-Man in the MCU, with a journey unlike we’ve ever seen and a style that celebrates the character’s early comic book roots”.
Agatha: House of Harkness – Live-action series that will star Kathryn Hahn as her character from WandaVision.
Marvel Zombies – Animated series that “reimagines the Marvel Universe” as a new generation of heroes battle against a zombie scourge.
Secret Invasion: First glimpse at Nick Fury in new MCU Disney+ show
We got our first glimpse at the upcoming Disney+ series Secret Invasion, featuring Samuel L Jackson as Nicky Fury.
Notice he’s missing his beard and eyepatch.
She-Hulk and Ironheart: Multiple MCU Disney+ shows get new logos
Baymax!: First trailer for new Disney+ show
Disney announced a summer 2022 release window for Baymax!, an original series based on the characters from Big Hero Six. It also released a trailer.
X-Men 97: New Disney+ series, coming in 2023
Disney is reviving the 1990s X-Men: The Animated Series cartoon as X-Men 97. It will reportedly pick up where the original series left off and has many of the same voice actors, including Cal Dodd (Wolverine), Lenore Zann (Rogue), and more.
Rev your engines: Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy return to voice Lightning McQueen and Mater in the #DisneyPlus Original Series: Cars on the Road, streaming in 2022! #DisneyPlusDay pic.twitter.com/NQCu5tW4we
— Disney+ (@disneyplus) November 12, 2021
Cars on the Road: New Pixar Disney+ show announced, coming in 2022
Next year, Owen Wilson and Larry the Cable Guy will return to voice Lightning McQueen and Mater, respectively, in this new Disney+ original series.
Prey: A Predator prequel, coming to Hulu in 2022
A new Predator prequel movie, Prey, is on its way from director Dan Trachtenberg. It’s set 300 years ago and stars Amber Midthunder as Naru.
Hocus Pocus 2: First look revealed for Disney+ movie
Disney+ gave us our first look at Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy in Hocus Pocus 2, an original Disney+ movie coming in autumn 2022.
Pinocchio: Disney+ movie, coming in 2022
The new live-action take on Pinocchio will officially debut on Disney+ in autumn 2022 and will star Tom Hanks, Cynthia Erivo, Luke Evans, Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Keegan-Michael Key, and Lorraine Bracco.
The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild: New Disney+ movie, coming in 2022
Ice Age is back with a new original movie called The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild. It will release on Disney+ on 28 January 2022. Here’s the first trailer.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Two new originals coming to Disney+
Diary of a Wimpy Kid author Jeff Kinney shared a new poster for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid original movie that will release on 3 December. He also revealed that Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, a new animated adventure coming to Disney+ in 2022.
Will Smith and Chris Hemsworth’s National Geographic shows: Trailers revealed
Will Smith and Chris Hemsworth are starring in two separate National Geographic special series, and Disney announced trailers and releases for them.
Welcome to the Earth – Will Smith’s show will premiere on 8 December 2021 and will take Smith to “the ends of the Earth”.
Limitless – In 2022, Chris Hemsworth will “push the boundaries of human potential” and try to answer, “How can we live longer and stronger?”
Other Disney+ Day announcements
Here are a few of the other not-as-huge (but still exciting) announcements from Disney on Disney+ Day:
Are there any Disney+ Day deals and promotions?
Pocket-lint is updating this guide with more deals and promotions as they’re announced:
New content coming to Disney+
Disney is releasing a ton of new films, shows, documentaries, and shorts. These are available to stream from Disney+ at no extra cost starting 12 November:
- Ciao Alberto
- Dopesick (in international markets available in the US on Hulu)
- Fancy Nancy Season 3
- Frozen Fever
- Get a Horse!
- Home Sweet Home Alone
- Jungle Cruise
- Marvel Assembled: The Making of Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings
- Marvel Studios Legends: Hawkeye
- Olaf Presents
- Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings
- Tangled Ever After
- The Ballad of Nessie
- The Little Matchgirl
- The Making of Happier than Ever: A Love Letter to Los Angeles
- The Simpsons in Plusaversary!
- The World According to Jeff Goldblum
- Tick Tock Tale
- Under the Helmet: The Legacy of Boba Fett
Note: Pocket-lint has marked in bold the most notable new additions.
Disney+ Day specials
Disney has added two specials to Disney+. These are jam-packed with sneak peeks about new content.
- Pixar Animation Studios’ Disney+ Day special
- Premieres at 8am PT (11am ET/4pm GMT) on 12 November 2021
- Marvel Studios’ Disney+ Day special
- Premieres at 8:45am PT (11:45am ET/4:45pm GMT) on 12 November 2021
From 12 November to 14 November 2021, more than 200 AMC theatre locations in the US will have four daily surprise screenings of Disney movies, with tickets priced at $5 each. Guests won’t know which movie is being shown until the screening begins, but they will receive a free Disney+ poster and a special concession offer with their ticket purchase. Each movie will have a “surprise short”, too. A list of participating AMC locations can be found here.
On 12 November, Disney rolled out an IMAX Enhanced experience for 13 Marvel movies. IMAX and DTS worked with Disney to bring the IMAX Enhanced experience to the Disney+ streaming platform. IMAX Enhanced uses a new IMAX Expanded aspect ratio of 1.90:1, which is closer to the 16:9 ratio of the TV in your living room. The idea is, with IMAX Enhanced, you can watch a movie as the director and cinematographer originally intended to present it.
Other deals and promotions
- Disney+ costs $1.99/£1.99 for one month for new and eligible subscribers. That’s a 75 per cent savings. The deal ends 14 November 2021.
- ShopDisney is offering free shipping in the US and Europe from 12 November to 14 November 2021 to Disney+ customers. Also, for a limited time in the US, the online store will roll out new customisable products from the Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel brands including t-shirts.
- Disney teamed with VeVe, a digital collectible platform, to launch Golden Moments NFTs featuring characters from its Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and Simpsons brands. New digital collectibles are available daily starting 7 November until Disney+ Day, ending with a special “ultra-rare” collectible.
- Disney Publishing Worldwide is offering select ebooks from 8 November to 17 November 2021 for 99 cents, including titles Loki and The Mandalorian.
- Funko is offering 10 per cent off Disney+ products from 12 November to 14 November 2021 on Funko.com. Use the promo code DISNEYPLUSDAY.
- Star Wars fans can go to BringHometheBounty.com at 6am PT on 12 November 2021 for reveals of new Star Wars Funko Pop! bobbleheads.
- WizKids is offering 5 per cent off Disney products and a Marvel gift with purchases made using promo code DISNEYPLUSDAY, starting 8 November.
- Target is hosting special giveaways from 12 November to 14 November 2021 in almost 800 stores across the US.
- Disney+ subscribers with a valid ticket or pass and theme park reservation on 12 November 2021 can get special benefits across Disney theme parks, including that they can enter the Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort 30 minutes before the parks open.
Want to know more?
Check out Pocket-lint’s guide on Disney+ for more about the service.
Writing by Maggie Tillman. Originally published on .